This page presents ABBA news arriving between the issues and is updated regularly.
News Archive 2014
News Archive 2013
News Archive 2012
News Archive 2011
News Archive 2010
News Archive 2009
News Archive 2008
News Archive 2007
News Archive 2006
News Archive 2005
News Archive 2004
November 27, 2015
November 25, 2015
- A TV special called "The ABBA Christmas Party" by ITV will be shown on Christmas Eve in the UK. In an
exclusive interview, Björn Ulvaeus will talk about his own ABBA memories and confirmed guests include
Alexandra Burke, Scouting for Girls, Amanda Holden, Shayne Ward & Catherine Tyledsley, Susan Boyle and the cast of
Thanks to Peter Dyke!
November 13, 2015
- Lars Lerin (book author and artist) will start a new television series called "Vänligen Lars Lerin" on Swedish
SVT1 on January 13, 2016 at 21:00 local time. He also met Frida on Mallorca for his series. Unfortunately we
still can't tell you which episode Frida will be in. See the trailer here.
- Instead of sending Frida presents to her birthday, we asked our members to donate something for her foundation
"Kinder in Not". An impressive amount was sent to her and Dan Daniell's foundation. They also received a complete list
of all the members who donated something. Many also sent personal birthday cards and letters which we all passed on to
Frida told us that she was totally amazed by the amount of the donation and birthday greetings, and she
asked us to pass on the following personal message to you:
To all the generous members of the ABBA Intermezzo Fan Club,
To my birthday I received a list of donators to "Kinder in Not", and was equally surprised and happy over your very
It was the best birthday gift ever and both Urs and I send our heartfelt thanks for a donation
which will help kids in many ways, and when we have decided which project to donate it to, we will of course let you
Also a warm thank you for all the lovely birthday cards and letters you've sent me.
Much love to you all,
November 5, 2015
The most beautiful stamp from Åland,
issuing programme 2016!
Including a stamp by Björn!
Many thanks to Ralph Hans Steiner for this wonderful information!
- A few German radio stations will report about Frida's 70th birthday in their programmes:
Regina from the ABBA Fan Club will be a guest on this show "Sonntagskult"!
- German TV show "Brisant" will report (among other subjects) on Frida's 70th birthday on November 14, 2015.
You can watch the show via live stream from 5:10 PM local time here.
German hotel "Estrel" in Berlin presents "Stars in Concert" for several years now. The shows are very successful.
The show "ABBA Thank You For The Music - Die ABBA Story als Musical" is among the shows. This show is coming on tour
now for the first time. You can get more infos on www.abba-musical.com
and on www.facebook.com/abbamusical/.
Theresa Pitt, born in Canada, who is playing Frida in the show, recorded a special greeting for Frida's birthday. You
can watch the video on our facebook site.
You can win tickets for the show in our next issue of ABBA .
- The double CD "Sakk - Chess Musical Budapest Live" will be released in the end of November.
It is a live recording
of "Chess" in Budapest in Hungarian language. You can order it
November 2, 2015
- Dan Daniell, the very close friend of Frida, is nominated for the pre-selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2016
You can still vote for Dan Daniell and his beautiful song "Out of the darkness" until November 16,
2015 here. Please vote and support Dan!
October 20, 2015
- Swiss singer Beatrice Egli made an interview with Björn and you can watch it on German ZDF TV's
October 9, 2015
- There is a digital remix bundle with Frida's song.
It includes "I Know There's Something Going On" as Lindstrøm Remix, Torn Remix, Fred Falke Remix and
Junge Junge Remix. Thanks to Universal Music Germany!
Congratulations to Benny's son Ludvig who got married to Milana Schoeller on October 17, 2015. The happy
ceremony took place in Munich in St. Michaels Church, Germany, and of course, Benny was among the guests. In the end
of the ceremony they even played "I do I do I do I do I do"! Many thanks to Jürgen Vad.
- All 4 remixes of Frida's "I know there's something going on" are available on
Spotify Web Player
October 1, 2015
- ABBA The Museum and the Japanese spa and conference hotel Yasuragi are initiating a collaboration, presenting a
special exhibition of ABBA's last tour in Japan. The exhibition is based on the book ABBA The Backstage Stories by
Ingmarie Halling. Costumes by ABBA's costume designer Owe Sandström will also be on display. The exhibition will
moreover feature brand new photographs of ABBA The Museum, captured by the keen eye and camera of award-winning
photographer Mattias Edwall, who gives us his version of the story of ABBA.
In conjunction with the exhibition, brand new photographs of ABBA The Museum by Mattias Edwall are being shown,
titled ABBA The Museum + Mattias Edwall = true!
Ingmarie Halling says "With his eye and camera Mattias creates his own chronicle of our museum. And we are proud to
show these photographs for the first time at Yasuragi. A keen eye, presence and precision are Mattias's trademark,
it's like he sees things that others don't and teaches us to see them."
The exhibition will open on October 6, 2015, inaugurated by the Ambassador of Japan to Sweden, H.E. Mr. Seiji
Morimoto, and be on show at Yasuragi in Saltsjö-Boo through April 15, 2016.
- Here is a nice report about Mamma Mia! The Party from a German newspaper.
The author also mentioned that Björn said that they think about getting Mamma Mia! The Party to New York, London
and Berlin if it is successful in Stockholm. Special thanks to Michael Robrecht, the author of the article, who gave
us permission to use his photos taken of the construction of Mamma Mia! The Party.
- Here is some further information on Mamma Mia! The Party
from Björn himself.
September 13, 2015
- On October 23, Polar Music will release a limited edition reissue of Frida's "Something's Going On" and to mark
the occasion, Lindstrøm has remixed the single "I Know There's Something Going On", as both remix and dub version.
The remix will be released in October. You can listen to the versions
Special thanks to Mikel!
- The limited Deluxe Edition of "Something's Going On" will include a hand signed card by Frida (no printed
signature). There also will be an unlimited edition of "Something's Going On" with CD/DVD only which will be released
on October 23 as well.
- The limited Deluxe Edition of "Something's Going On" can still be ordered here
- Germany is third most successful location of MAMMA MIA!
After 5135 performances, MAMMA MIA! will leave the Stage Metronom Theater at Centro Oberhausen on October 2.
Only London's Westend and the Broadway in New York had more viewers for the musical than Germany.
September 10, 2015
- The second premiere of Kristina in Stockholm was a big success yesterday! Read more about it in our next issue
of ABBA . Special thanks to Mike Wellner for these wonderful photos! More photos will follow in our next issue.
September 6, 2015
- Benny has presented new creative meeting rooms at his hotel "The Rival" to invited guests today. The photo
shows Benny with Caroline Eriksson, CEO of the hotel. Special thanks to Micke Bayart for this photo.
September 3, 2015
- Exclusive Price Offers for Mamma Mia! Tickets in Oberhausen / Germany
The derniere of Mamma Mia! in Oberhausen will take place on October 2, 2015. It is also the last performance of the
musical in Germany for the time being.
Before the final curtain falls, we have some exclusive special ticket offers from Stage Entertainment for you.
This is valid for all tickets from Wednesday (Mi.) until Sunday (So.) in all categories.
The prices include all fees except the postage for sending the tickets, which depends on the country. The prices
are the same for the derniere tickets on October 2, 2015. Advance payment is required.
All prices are valid for Wednesday to Sunday from September 13, 2015 on. We will process the orders via our
ABBA Fan Club. Please send your obligatory order until September 8, 2015 to:
August 27, 2015
- Today Björn, Benny and the "Kristina" cast went to a press conference in Stockholm. The second "Kristina" premiere
in Stockholm will take place on September 12. Read more about this in our next fan club magazine. Special thanks to
Micke Bayart for this great photo!
August 24, 2015
- The grand piano played by Benny on ABBA's recordings from 1973 - 1977 will be auctioned
by Sotheby's in London
on September 29. It was built by Swedish designer Georg Bolin and bought by Metronome Studios in 1967.
August 16, 2015
- Swedish TV1's evening show "Go'kväll" will have music from Kristina från Duvemåla performed on
August 28 at 6:45 PM. No details yet who will be on stage.
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
August 3, 2015
- This autumn Frida of ABBA will celebrate her 70th birthday. To honour this special occasion, Polar Music will
release a super limited edition version of the 1982 album "SOMETHING'S GOING ON" on October 23rd 2015.
The boxed set is strictly limited to 2000 copies and contains liner notes written by Frida, as well as a hand-signed
The full contents includes a remastered CD version of "Something's Going On", a DVD featuring a "Making Of"
documentary, promo videos and interviews from 1982, a signed art card, a 7" single of the song "I Know There’s
Something Going On/You Know What I Mean", and a booklet with liner notes written by Frida.
When first released in September 1982, "Something's Going On" reached number one on the album charts in Sweden, went
Top 5 in Norway and Belgium, as well as going Top 10 in Australia, Finland, Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands.
The single "I Know There's Something Going On" has sold over 3 million copies alone since release. The album is
produced by Phil Collins.
The box set can be pre-ordered here.
We also hope to give you more links where to order it from soon.
July 31, 2015
- The new ABBA Calendar 2016 by Heel Verlag can be ordered here!
- ABBA No. 76 – our second 25th Anniversary issue! – has been printed and mailed to all of our members worldwide!
No. 76 is another full colour, 36-page issue packed with the latest news, special features, and exclusive and rare photos. As a special gift in celebration of our special 25th anniversary, each loyal member of ABBA will find a jumbo poster, sized app. 60 x 85 cm, in their new issue! We hope you enjoy your special poster, which is a rare alternative shot for the “Arrival” album taken in 1976.
Here’s what you will find in No. 76:
- News Extra featuring all the latest news about new releases, ABBA The Museum, Mamma Mia! The Party, latest interviews etc.
- The second part of our special 25th Anniversary feature: Our editor Regina answers more questions about the history of the ABBA Fan Club
- ABBA By Calvero: A special report and exclusive photos about photographer Torbjörn Calvero’s fine art photos at ABBA The Museum
- An exclusive interview with John Tobler, the man behind the famous ABBA Annuals and ABBA Gold Books. He has some great memories and exclusive photos to share with us
- Full report and exclusive photos of Björn at Humanisterna’s event held at Rival Hotel plus Benny on stage at the Orion Theatre in Stockholm
- Our special 25th Anniversary Competition: this time you can win exclusive prizes such as autographed cards, autographed CDs, books, CDs, magazines, ABBA t-shirts and ABBA bags. A special thank you to everyone who donated all these fantastic prizes for our special competition!
- Reader’s Stories featuring contributions and photos from our members
- A3 size poster with a lovely image of ABBA in Japan from March 1980
- Plus wonderful greetings and special messages from Björn, Frida, Benny, Görel Hanser, Mia Segolsson, Dan Daniell, Torbjörn Calvero and John Tobler for our 25th anniversary!
We hope you enjoy this special issue and look forward to your feedback. Thank you as always for your wonderful support!
July 23, 2015
July 17, 2015
- The Stockholm Culture Festival takes place in the middle of August. One of the events is a perfomance by the Kristina
cast at Sergels Torg on Thursday August 13 at 12:00 - 1:30 PM. Some of the most loved songs from Kristina will be heard.
Lars Rudolsson will be also on stage. 1.254.317 people have seen Kristina so far. The recent version has been
performed 289 times in Helsinki and Gothenburg and was seen by an audience of 242.000 .
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
June 28, 2015
The release concert for the album "Kärlekens Tid" takes place on September 20 at 6 PM at the Eric Ericssonhallen
in Stockholm. Gustaf Sjökvists Kammarkör sings, Benny plays piano and Cecilia Rydinger Alin conducts.
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
June 24, 2015
- The Swedish TV breakfast show "Nyhetsmorgon" had a Kristina från Duvemåla featurette on Saturday
morning. Benny and Björn had been interviewed
at Mono Music. They spoke a lot about today's refugees.
Oskar Nilsson performed
"Guldet blev till sand" as singback version. The single mix of the song was used as background music, which is
a bit different from the album version.
Gustaf Sjökvists Kammarkör's album "Kärlekens Tid", with music by Benny, will be released on
September 18. Confusingly, record stores are announcing different orders for the songs included:
Catalogue number: Mono Music MMCD 033
- Var hör vi hemma
- Down to the sacred wave
- Lilla skara
- Klinga mina klockor
- Historien om schack
- Kärlekens tid
- En skrift i snön
- Vila glad. I din famn
- Innan gryningen
- O klang och jubeltid
"He's a man, he's a child", the English version of "Han är en man, han är ett barn" (which was first
performed in the Swedish version of CHESS in 2002) will be released as digital single by Mono Music. It is a live
recording, sung by Reidun Saether during CHESS IN CONCERT at Skarphallen in Tromsö in Norway, August 2014.
Anders Eljas conducted the Arctic Philharmonic during the concert. Espen Andersen engineered the live recording and
Bernard Löhr and Benny have mixed the song at Mono Music Studio. Benny is the producer. Catalogue
number: Mono Music MMCD-S 143
Thanks to Pentti Koponen for all these news!
June 2, 2015
- The promotion campaign (by authors and cast) for Kristina från Duvemåla at Cirkus in Stockholm has
started. Benny, Maria Ylipää and Oskar Nilsson have recorded Kalle Moraeus´ music show "Moraeus med mera" in
Orsa for Swedish TV SVT in early June. Screening is planned for early autumn. Maria Ylipää and Robert Noack
will appear in the final Allsång på Skansen, broadcast live on TV on August 11. The artists and Lars
Rudolfsson attended the media launch earlier this month, but did not want to tell which song(s) will be performed in
August. Swedish magazine Amelia has been at Cirkus, photographing and interviewing Maria Ylipää and Birthe
Wingren when they have been testing their costumes.
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
Photo © Lenah Fröding / SVT World
- Mamma Mia! The Party has now come a little further with this exciting experiment. The refurbishment of historic
Tyrol has just started and the transformation into a Greek Taverna will be really exciting to follow. The other day,
they were pleasantly surprised by their rhythmical craftsmen - see the stunt
You can also see the film and follow the process on www.mammamiatheparty.com .
Tickets go on sale on the 25th of August.
- We are sad to tell you that James Last died on June 9 at the age of 86. He was a famous conductor and created the
so-called "Happy Sound". He was a big admirer of ABBA and met them back in 1974. In 2001 he released a full CD with
ABBA's music called "James Last plays ABBA", played in his own special sound. Our thoughts are with his family.
May 14, 2015
- Björn got the honorary doctorate at Linnéuniversitetet.
Here is a nice interview with him (in Swedish).
- Dan Daniell's book "Wolli und die Erstbesteigung des Matterhorns" (Wolli and the first ascent of the Matterhorn)
has now been published. The children's book series about "Wolli" the cute sheep is continued with this book and tells
the story of the first ascent of the Matterhorn. The bird "Frida Vogelsang" is mentioned in the book as well, singing
"1865" as an encore at a concert with her friend. Frida has written and signed the foreword to this wonderful book.
It includes a photo of Frida and Dan Daniell. The Special Edition also includes Dan Daniell's CD "Lebe deinen Traum"
featuring the German and English version of "1865" with Frida! We can only recommend this great book. You can order
April 25, 2015April 23, 2015
- We are sorry to say that ABBA's bass player Rutger Gunnarsson has passed away at the age of 69.
Our deepest sympathies go to his family.
- On May 9, 2015 we had organized a special ABBA Fan Club VIP event for Mamma Mia! in Oberhausen. The 3 Dynamos
took plenty of time for us and the mood was excellent. The musical will be played in Germany until October 2, 2015.
Secure your tickets
April 21, 2015
- On Saturday, 25 April 2015 at 20:15 on German ARD TV one of our youngest ABBA
fan club members, Enrico Ferrari (12), will have his big appearance on the show "Klein gegen Groß - das
unglaubliche Duell" ("Small vs. big - the incredible duel") hosted by Kai Pflaume. Many months ago we helped the
ARD to get in contact with Enrico.
Enrico is a huge ABBA fan and knows every song by the Swedish pop quartet.
He is very much into music: he sings soprano in a boy choir and is learning to play violin. His counterpart in the ABBA
duel is STEFANIE HERTEL. The singer and MDR presenter is not just a folk music expert, she is a big ABBA fan herself.
In 2013 she even had a guest appearance in the ABBA musical "Mamma Mia" in Stuttgart. Who will recognize more ABBA
songs played backwards on the violin?
Photo: NDR / Thorsten Jander
April 16, 2015
- On 20 April 2015 Swedish Humanist Association "Humanisterna" arranged an event held at Rival Hotel in Stockholm in
order to support refugees who fled the war in Northern Syria and southern Kurdistan. The goal of this event was to
help 300 boys and girls of the refugee camp Arabat, which is situated in the province Suliymaniyah, and who are
suffering from abuse and violence being in need of psychosocial support. Many of them have lost their parents and
have no social support in order to overcome stress and fear by means of professional help. Among the speakers were
Björn Ulvaeus and Sweden's Minister for Justice and Migration Morgan Johansson to name but a few. Among
the artists performing that night were Shirley Clamp, Janne Schaffer, Kani, Åsa Jinder and Gunilla Backman who
was joined during the finale by all attending artists singing the Swedish version of "Thank You For The Music".
Photo © Micke Bayart
- Here is a nice video
of Björn talking about the planned restaurant.
April 15, 2015
- This coming Monday, April 20th, the Rival Theatre will be the host of a charity concert to raise money for the youths
at the Arabat refugee camp in northern Iraq. Artists who will be performing and/or speaking include Shirley Clamp,
Gunilla Backman, Peter Johansson, Anders Borg, Björn Ulvaeus and Hogir Hirori. There are still a few tickets
left! More info and tickets on the Rival website.
- Mamma Mia! will have its premiere in Ljubljana,
Slovenia on June 15, 2015.
Special thanks to Peter Rustja!
- Get into the Mamma Mia party mood! In January 2016 Mamma Mia! The Party opens at Restaurant Tyrol in Gröna
Lund, Stockholm's famous amusement park, just across the street from ABBA The Museum. Using the ABBA song catalogue as
a base Björn Ulvaeus wants to capture the happy atmosphere of the musical that has played to millions around the
world and transfer it to a big party. Premiere 20 January 2016 at Tyrol, Stockholm.
Tickets on sale from 25 August 2015 via www.mammamiatheparty.com
April 11, 2015
- We have reported that there is a German version of the song "1865" by Frida and Dan Daniell from Chez Heini in Zermatt.
This German version will be released on Dan's new album "Lebe deinen Traum" on April 24, 2015. You can already listen to a
little clip here.
- Some advice for everyone travelling to Sweden!
We want to inform you about a fact that seems to be widely unknown.
New banknotes will be introduced in October 2015 and the current banknotes will become invalid in 2016 and 2017!
Here is the schedule from Riksbank
- October 1, 2015: New banknotes 20 kr, 50 kr, 200 kr, 1000 kr
- June 30, 2016: Current banknotes 20 kr, 50 kr, 1000 kr become invalid
- October 2016: New banknotes 100 kr, 500 kr, new coins 1 kr, 2 kr, 5 kr
- June 30, 2017: Current banknotes 100 kr, 500 kr and coins 1 kr, 5 kr become invalid
Redeeming invalid banknotes is only possible via mail to Riksbank and is
difficult and expensive.
Invalid coins will not be redeemed at all.
So please collect your Swedish cash and try to use it up before these
dates on your next visit to Sweden.
March 31, 2015
ABBA The Museum will present photos taken by Torbjörn Calvero on April 22. Torbjörn has taken many
great shots of ABBA and the museum will show some of his photos which have never been published before!
- Ingmarie Halling has become director of ABBA The Museum. "Mattias has been a key figure in the creation of the
museum. Without his creative ability it would not look like it does today," said Björn Ulvaeus, who led efforts
to establish the museum in close collaboration with Hansson. "Taking on the position as Museum Director of one of
Stockholm's and perhaps Sweden's most popular destinations is incredibly exciting," says Ingmarie Halling. "I have
been working with the museum for several years, and have also been on tour with the exhibit, so now the challenge is
to maintain our high visitor numbers and get our visitors to come back again and again," continues Halling, "Mattias
has done a fantastic job, both commercially and creatively, and I can only congratulate the next group that manages
to get him on board."
"Now my part is done and the role of consultant CEO is being phased out. Three years of hard
work with the world's best employees has yielded fantastic results – and our visitors are loving it! Nine out of ten
would like to come back and are happy to tell others about their visit," says Mattias Hansson. "I am proud to be able
to hand over a success story - it feels great."
- The musical Mamma Mia! will be closed on Broadway in September this year, after running for 14 years! The last
show of Mamma Mia! will be shown in New York on September 5, 2015.
- Mamma Mia! The Party!
Watch this nice teaser
with Björn and sign up!
March 22, 2015
- Legendary ABBA and solo photographer Anders Hanser has made a documentary film about his long career. "Hanser Han Ser
i Orsa" (a word play meaning "Hanser He Sees in Orsa") will be shown twice in Orsa during Easter. Ten previews took
place at Hanser's own small cinema in Stockholm. Many famous people who Anders Hanser has photographed, among them
Frida, Björn and Benny, agreed to be interviewed in the film.
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
- Last Saturday Benny performed live at the Orion Theatre in Stockholm.
Fire! invites music lovers from Sweden and the world and the Orion Theatre is turned into a club, with the feeling
of a black club, backyard, Berlin or New York. Or eastern Södermalm (part of Stockholm where the theater is located).
Fire! is a Swedish trio featuring members of The King, Tape, Wildbads & Peacedrums and they are playing a mix of
soft, faster and modified versions of contemporary improvised music with the inspiration of garage rock and free jazz.
On Saturday evening they played two songs together with Lars Rudolfsson and Benny Andersson, like ’On And On And On’.
Many thanks to Micke Bayart!
Photo © Micke Bayart
- On March 25, Melody Hotel changed name to POP HOUSE HOTEL, which houses the Swedish Popular Music History exhibit,
ABBA The Museum, Swedish Music Hall of Fame and the POP shop. The house has already welcomed more than 600,000
visitors. Now the hotel and restaurant is being further developed:
"Our goal of fully integrating the operations between ABBA The Museum, Swedish Music Hall of Fame and the hotel are
underway. In line with this, it feels natural for us to change the name of the hotel to POP HOUSE HOTEL, where our
intention is to realize the vision of a house of music in Stockholm", says Björn Ulvaeus.
"Our hotel and restaurant guests will love what’s in store for them at the POP HOUSE HOTEL. This summer we’re planning
live music gigs at our outdoor courtyard. We will also be decorating a number of hotel rooms in an exclusive
music-theme interior. We want POP HOUSE HOTEL to be associated with all forms of music. A couple of months ago, we
hosted an international song writing camp with 45 up-and-coming songwriters from all over the world. And recently,
in collaboration with ABBA The Museum, we organized Katy Perry's end of tour party in conjunction with her concert at
Stockholm Globe Arenas", says Pelle Lindberg.
The name change occurred on Wednesday, March 25 and the old name
will be searchable for a transition period.
March 9, 2015
Baltimore based guitarist Rob Zuzin has released his CD "On Steel Strings: A Tribute To ABBA", available on
CDBABY & Itunes. "On Steel Strings" is an interpretation of some of the most loved ABBA songs performed in the most
organic setting: unaccompanied steel string guitar. Rob says: "ABBA's music was all over the place when I was young
in the late 1970's. For me, at that age, I didn't think of the music as dance or disco backdrop. I think I liked the
production of the recordings. I know I liked the songs! It was a fun challenge to create these arrangements. I didn't
want the songs to be overshadowed with too much dense or speedy guitar playing, but I also wanted to be sure they
were musically interesting especially considering the absence of the lyrics. Fortunately, the songs were so well
crafted originally that neither was really a concern, though I did allow for a few occasions to "step out" and stretch
the music a bit for the guitar's sake."
- Benny was in Kopenhagen, Denmark, for the rehearsals of the musical "Hjälp Sökes" (premiere on April 12, 2015).
You can watch a video with him here.
- The first ever UK Tour of MAMMA MIA! will take place from 2016! The first four venues have now been announced
and will be going on sale shortly. See dates here.
- ABBA No. 75 – our 25th Anniversary issue! – has been printed and mailed to all of our members worldwide! We’re so proud and honoured to share this incredible milestone with you. No. 75 is another full-colour, 36-page issue packed with the latest news, special features, and exclusive and rare photos. Here’s what you’ll find in No. 75:
- A conversation with Dan Daniell about his and Frida’s new recording, “1865” – featuring new details provided to us by Frida herself as well as previously unseen photos
- “The Circle” premieres at the Berlin International Film Festival, attended by Benny and his son Ludvig – full report and exclusive photos
- The first part of our special 25th Anniversary feature: Our very own editor Regina answers questions about the history of the ABBA Fan Club
- The Good Cause of Chiquitita: Report and photos from the joint UNICEF/ABBA the Museum event attended by Björn this past November
- Kristina premieres in Gothenburg: Report and exclusive photos
- Exclusive interview: Producer, remixer and ABBA fan Matt Pop
- Special 25th Anniversary competition: Tell us which exclusive photo you’d like sent to you as a jumbo poster gift!
- A3 size poster featuring a rare outtake shot taken during the filming of the “Does Your Mother Know” video in 1979, kindly supplied to us by photographer Torbjörn Calvero especially for our anniversary
- Reader’s Stories featuring contributions and photos from our members
- And of course, our News Extra featuring all the latest news up to printing time
We sincerely hope you enjoy this special issue and look forward to your feedback. Thank you as always for all your support and encouragement!
- Acclaimed ABBA historian and author Carl Magnus Palm has launched a second and final campaign to self-publish a completely revised, updated and expanded edition of ABBA: The Complete Recording Sessions, his groundbreaking 1994 book on the facts and stories about ABBA’s musical legacy.
When you pre-order your copy of the book through this website, you are helping secure the necessary support for the author to research, write and produce the book and to maintain the integrity of his vision for the project. The pre-order campaign runs through 9 April 2015.
The book will only be published if it is successfully funded through this campaign, so don't miss your chance to back the project and reserve your copy of the book known as the “ABBA bible”!
You can pre-order the book in two different formats, which will be delivered to you as soon as the book is published:
1. Printed hardcover format shipped to your address anywhere in the world
2. ebook (electronic book) format supported by Sony Reader, Kindle, iBooks, Nook, and most other readers and devices.
All prices are in Euros and include shipping, and you can now pay via PayPal.
Pre-order the book here.
March 8, 2015
March 4, 2015
- What a night! The German Mamma Mia! Premiere in Oberhausen on March 5, 2015 was a big success. The
"new Donna", Carina Sandhaus, did an excellent job and revealed later that she was very excited because many colleagues
were among the guests of honor. "Sam" Jerry Marwig already performed in Stuttgart and Berlin and told us that he had
been on the Mamma Mia! stage more than 1,000 times!!! The musical will run in Oberhausen for 6 months.
- Mia Hafrén (Donna), Lineah Svärd (Sofie) and Vallu Lukka (Sam) from the Mamma Mia! Helsinki production
performed for King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden at the House of the Estates in Helsinki on Wednesday.
After the planned six numbers the audience asked for more and got three encores. In the end Queen Silvia wanted to
hear Dancing Queen and people began to dance.
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
Photos © Svenska Teatern and Mia Hafrén
- The Cirkeln soundtrack has been released on iTunes (at least in Sweden and Finland), it features 40 tracks and
includes these new pieces by Benny, length varying from 34 seconds to 4:17 minutes:
- Elias död (Elias' death)
- Vanessa osynlig (Vanessa invisible)
- Minoos rum 1 (Minoos room 1)
- Den röda månen (The red moon)
- Ida svävar 1 (Ida floating 1)
- Taket (Ceiling)
- Rebeckas död (Rebecka's death)
- Nyckelstöld (Key theft)
- Adrianas hus (Adriana's house)
- Mönstrens bok (The book of patterns)
- Minoos rum 2 (Minoos room 2)
- Vad är magi? (What is magic?)
- Efter middagen (After dinner)
- I kärrgruvan (In the swamp pit)
- Badkaret (The bath tub)
- Inget element (No element)
- Idas vision
- Kyssen (The kiss)
- Ida svävar 2 (Ida floating 2)
- Strider börjar (The battles begin)
- Minoo bryter välsignelsen (Minoo breaks the blessing)
- Efter striden (After the battle)
- Engelsfors (reprise)
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
- The new German album "Seitensprung" by Claudia Jung includes the Mamma Mia! songs "Der Sieger hat die Wahl"
(The winner takes it all) and "Durch meine Finger rinnt die Zeit" (Slipping through my fingers).
You can listen to snippets here.
Thanks to Peter Kauczor!
February 27, 2015
- Reviews of "Cirkeln" have been very positive. "Cirkeln" was the 2nd most attended film during its first week
in Sweden. Ludvig Andersson said that 400,000 tickets need to be sold. Unfortunately, the much hyped film "50 Shades of Grey"
opened around the same time and has been dominating the Swedish box office since then. Cirkeln has been seen by 80,000 people
so far and has now dropped to position 5 of the Swedish movie charts. Ludvig comments in Aftonbladet that it can't
be said yet if it is possible to film the two other Cirkeln books. They have to wait a few more weeks
to see the more final results at the box office.
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
- ABBA The Museum has launched its biggest attraction since opening in May 2013. Four life-size replicas of ABBA
members Frida, Agnetha, Björn and Benny in silicon, dressed in their legendary stage clothes from the late 70s.
Work on the figures has been ongoing for just over a year, headed by talented make-up artist and artist Göran
Lundström at Effektstudion in Hammarby Sjöstad, Stockholm.
The members of ABBA themselves have been intricately involved in the production of their replicas, with detailed
measurements taken on all four, in order to come as close as possible to the way they looked back then.
Behind these works of art is Swedish make-up artist and sculptor Göran Lundström from Effektstudion. In
autumn 2013, Göran was commissioned to recreate ABBA in life-size replicas. The figures, which are unique
globally, will be launched at the beginning of March 2015.
Benny Andersson on the final results:
"Wonderful mannequins, better looking than the originals."
Agnetha Fältskog on the clothes:
"I like the costume choice. Back then, the tricots were one of my favourites.
They were good for dancing in and moving about freely, it was nice to feel free on stage."
Frida Lyngstad Reuss on the figures:
"The entire process has been so creative and inspiring – being able to give our input on all the details. And the
results are excellent thanks to the perceptiveness of Göran and his team! Exquisite craftsmanship!"
Björn Ulvaeus on the process:
"I brought my test head home and laid it on my pillow, stuffing some other pillows under the cover. Then I called my
wife into the bedroom. What an impact! There was the man who lay beside her 35 years ago. The man she fell in love
The figures arrived by helicopter and landed on the roof of the museum to the sound of Arrival.
Photos: © Micke Bayart
February 25, 2015
- Carl Magnus Palm will try to make the updated ABBA - The Complete Recording Sessions a reality with a second
crowdfunding campaign. Please help him prepare for it by taking this survey.
February 12, 2015
- German digital "Spiegel-Geschichte TV" will show the
"ABBA - Agnetha and After" on Friday, February 27 at 20:15. The programme will be repeated on 28.2. at 12:45,
8.3. at 19:15, 10.3. at 1:05 and 10:15, 11.3. at 4:40 and 8:00.
Thanks to Peter Kauczor!
February 8, 2015
- Benny, Ludvig, Levan Akin and several actors from "Cirkeln" went to its premiere at the Berlinale on
February 10th. Benny was immediately surrounded by the press and fans plus autograph hunters on the red carpet.
Unfortunately he was mainly asked about ABBA instead about the film! The cast and Levan Akin went on stage after the
screening to answer questions from the audience. We will have a full report with some exclusive photos in our next
- Here is a short interview
with Benny and Ludvig from February 10.
- Frida & Dan Daniell talk about their foundation "Kinder in Not" here.
January 30, 2015
- As announced on this website and in our newsletter to all our fan club members, Carl Magnus Palm’s
crowdfunding campaign to publish an updated version of the definitive book on ABBA's recording history is now launched!
Visit the Kickstarter page to pre-order your copy of this essential book.
is the page for the world premiere screening of Cirkeln at the Berlinale film festival on Tuesday, February 10 at 5:00 PM.
January 23, 2015
- Benny, Ludvig, director Levan Akin and author Sara Bergmark Elfgren have recorded a
for SF Bio announcing that ticket sales for Cirkeln are about to begin. Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
January 22, 2015
- Swedish news agency TT Spektra reports that Benny Andersson will attend the Berlin film festival together
with the director and five actors from "Cirkeln". Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
January 15, 2015
The Swedish fantasy film "Cirkeln" will have its world premiere at the German film festival Berlinale
"Cirkeln" was produced by Benny and Ludvig's company RMV Film.
It is planned
to be screened on February 10, 5:00 PM local time at the HKW cinema.
The updated movie schedule is available
from January 27.
- Gustaf Sjökvist's Chamber Choir has recently been looking for some new singers. In that connection they
mentioned that the choir has been involved in recording of the music for Cirkeln.
- On Monday January 19, the Swedish Film Institute arranged a presentation
event of Swedish films that will premiere during winter. Benny and Ludvig attended. A video is
Photo: Svenska Filminstitutet
Special thanks to Pentti Koponen!
- To all ABBA Fan Club Members! We have 2 tickets for the Mamma Mia! Premiere
in Oberhausen (Germany) to be won - we will send you a mail with further information in the next days.
News about Frida's plans to design ski outfits!
J.Lindeberg is excited to announce a unique collaboration with Frida from ABBA! An avid skier, mountain lover and
inspired by the stunning alpine region surrounding her hometown Zermatt, Switzerland Frida has since long time
nurtured a dream of creating her take on the ultimate ski overall with the vision to infuse a personal sense of
femininity and beauty in today’s often technically orientated skiwear.
Frida:"It’s a perfect match, J.Lindeberg has the know-how and the production set up, and the team has been enthusiastic
and easy to work with. My clear vision has materialised in an overall that combines exclusive femininity with
sophisticated functionality. As ABBA is celebrating 40 years as a group this year, I feel like I am bridging the
past with the future in this unique garment, I am very excited."
The overall features a shell fabric in virgin wool from esteemed Italian supplier Loro Piana, a prominent zip front
detail - and to top it off dyed to match fur in hood and sleeves from one of the world’s best and prestigious fur
suppliers: Kopenhagen Fur. The overall will be produced only in an exclusive limited amount for global distribution.
Available at J. Lindeberg in Biblioteksgatan, Åre, Kitzbühel and other selected stores.
- You can listen to a snippet of Frida's & Dan Daniell's song "1865"
- This is a press release from ABBA The Museum:
Friend's Day on March 13 at ABBA The Museum
We are very excited to be organizing a special day for our friends and fans!
The museum will be open only for you
during this afternoon, March 13.
Tickets will be released for pre–purchase during January. The day will include:
- We will reveal our biggest attraction since opening!
- A never before exhibited costume from 1973.
- Preview and pre-purchase of fine art photos never exhibited before, by Torbjörn Calvero.
- A unique walk through inside the Polar Studio, with guide.
- Competition; one happy person will also get to sing in the original studio and microphone!
- Get your own ABBA The Museum backstage pass/Friends Card. The card will give you special offers and discounts.
- Premiere of our curator’s audio guide. An ABBA The Museum tour in depth.
- Mingle and drinks
The day at the museum will start around 3 PM but all visitors are welcome earlier as well. We will be able to offer
good pricing on hotels nearby, such as Hasselbacken Scandic and Melody Hotel. Keep posted for updates. A warm welcome
and we hope to see you here!
- We have deleted some older messages. If you found this page by a search engine, don't miss the whole site!
You will find the old messages from the last years in our News Archive
2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004.