ABBA News Archive 2012
Here are the old messages from our ABBA- News page from the year 2012. Books have been moved to the
Book List and obsolete announcements for TV shows and concerts have been deleted.
December 23, 2012
December 22, 2012
- We wish you a very merry Christmas filled with joy and love, and all the very best for a very happy and healthy new
year in 2013. A big Thank You to all ABBA Fan Club members for your
great support in 2012!
December 16, 2012
- Many thanks to Pentti Koponen for the following Kristina från Duvemåla news from Finland:
The second of the three Kristina från Duvemåla performance cycles at Svenska Teatern in Helsinki
has wrapped up. The theatre has installed two large screens outside the building showcasing current and coming plays;
Kristina is presented with the most screen time as it is the theatre's main production at present.
During the second to last performance, the original conductor of the Helsinki production, Hans Ek, was on duty; the
main cast was on stage while a few supporting roles had understudies performing. Elin was played Thilia Tamminen (who
usually plays Danjel's daughter Fina) and Fina-Kajsa by Helen Elde (actress-director-painter, not part of the
regular Kristina ensemble).
In addition, Peter Arnoldsson first played Karl-Oskar's father as usual and many other small parts, but also put on a
wig and played Pastor Jackson! Robert Noack's (Karl-Oskar) and Oskar Nilsson's (Robert) hair was styled a bit
differently than before, as was Nilsson's wig during the second act.
December 14, 2012
- ABBA No. 68 has been published and is now being mailed to our members –
just in time for the Christmas holidays!
Our 36-page, full-colour A4 size magazine is as always full of news, special features, rare and exclusive photos, an
A3 sized ABBA 2013 poster-calendar and great prizes to be won. We're also proud to bring you several new and exclusive
interviews. In No. 68, you'll find:
- All of the latest news and ABBA/ABBA-related releases
- Benny at Piteå's Studio Acusticum: Full Report
- Exclusive Interview with Caj Högberg, ABBA's 1974-75 Tour Bassist
- Continuation of our special 30th anniversary feature on Frida's Something's Going On album – this time looking at Frida's promotional activities surrounding the release
- Exclusive interview with Owe Sandström, ABBA's well-known costume designer
- Exclusive interview with Tom Oliver, ABBA's "bodyguard" from ABBA–The Movie
- Celebrating 30 Years of The Visitors, Part 3: An in-depth look at the making of the album cover plus the second part of Björn's interview from November 1981
- More Readers' Stories from our members
- Special Posters Series Launch: Agnetha
- Our competition with exclusive prizes to be won: ABBA Deluxe Version CD/DVDs, official ABBA notebooks and 12 Points CDs (including ABBA's "Waterloo" in German)
- Our Christmas gift to you: a special A3 sized ABBA 2013 poster-calendar
We hope you enjoy our festive issue with which we close out another great ABBA year. Once again, many thanks to all
our members for your support and we look forward to your feedback!
- Here are photos of the setup of the special ABBA The Museum exhibition at Arlanda Airport.
Above: ABBA The Museum Managing Director Mattias Hansson and curator Ingmarie Halling. Thanks to Micke Bayart!
December 12, 2012
- As reported in No. 67, travellers and visitors to Stockholm will soon
be able to get a unique preview of ABBA The Museum at Stockholm Arlanda Airport,
one of the museum's key partners. A special exhibit opens this Monday, December 17, 2012 at 5.00 p.m., during which
visitors will be able to enjoy exclusive parts of the museum in the baggage hall and the Tourist Information Centre
in Terminal 5.
December 11, 2012
- In an interview given to Reuters
published yesterday, Björn repeated that the four members of ABBA would never reunite on stage
musically, adding: "For the opening of the museum I cannot say. I will have to give everyone (each group member) a
preview and take it from there."
About the museum, he said: "We weren't entirely sure if there was going to be one, whether we wanted one, becoming
artifacts and relics while we are still alive", adding: "It is such a long time ago that ABBA was active … the
guy I see when I look at all the videos, on stage, it is almost that he is a stranger. It is almost that I didn't
know him anymore. I thought it would be interesting to get to know him a little better."
Björn also told Reuters that Catherine Johnson, who wrote the script for "Mamma Mia!", is helping to write the
audio guide which will feature the ABBA members telling visitors about the exhibits.
- Meanwhile, the museum's website has updated its FAQ with
some more information. The museum will have a membership program called "Friends of ABBA the Museum", and there will
be a hotel inside the larger building called the Melody Hotel. The ticketing system will work with time slots, which
means that visitors will generally only be able to enter during the time slot written on their ticket.
December 10, 2012
- The opening date for ABBA The Museum is Tuesday,
May 7, 2013. Premiere week tickets will be available beginning this Thursday, December 13 on
SJ.se, the largest train operator in Sweden
and one of the museum's partners.
December 8, 2012
A new BAO tour in the summer of 2013 has just been announced. Here are the dates and locations:
July 18: Göteborg, Trädgårdsföreningen
July 19: Helsingborg, Sofiero Slott
July 20: Kalmar, Skälby Gård
July 21: Trosa, Hamnplan
July 24: Piteå, Norrstrandsbadet
July 25: Sundsvall, Norra Berget
July 26: Leksand, Sammilsdalsgropen
July 27: Stockholm, Sjöhistoriska Museet
Tickets sales start this Wednesday, December 12 on Ticnet.se.
December 6, 2012
- A new production of the musical CHESS will start a 6 week run in London in February, at the
Union Theatre. Tickets can be bought online
from Ticketsource, 6 performances
are already sold out.
Thanks to Mark Derrington!
December 1, 2012
- ABBA The Museum has now announced a collaboration
with Spotify, a digital music streaming service available in
15 countries. Björn said in the press release: "Online music streaming is one of the reasons that ABBA has a new
young audience. Now music fans that weren't even born in the 70's are listening to ABBA. ABBA The Museum will be
an innovative experience – physically, musically and interactively. I honestly can't think of a better interactive
music partner than Spotify."
November 22, 2012
- Author and noted ABBA historian Carl Magnus Palm has announced he has co-produced and co-directed three
different ABBA documentaries to be broadcast on SVT in Sweden over the holiday season. It is the first time in
several decades that Swedish-produced programmes about ABBA will be broadcast in the group's home country. The
programmes have been made for an international market and will, in all likelihood, be broadcast in many other
territories. The documentaries are:
- ABBA - Dancing Queen, covering the making and impact of ABBA's most famous song and ABBA's success
story, with a special focus on the Australian phenomenon (air date: December 26, 2012 at 8.00 p.m.)
- ABBA - When Four Became One (Swedish title: ABBA - Vägen till Waterloo), which takes a look
at the pre-ABBA lives and careers of Agnetha, Björn, Benny and Frida (air date: January 2, 2013 at 8.00 p.m.)
- ABBA - Absolute Image, which approaches the ABBA phenomenon from a visual point of view, telling the
story of how ABBA's stage costumes, album sleeves and promo clips were made and the part they played in the
construction of the group's image (air date: January 9, 2013 at 8:00 p.m.)
Many more details on the background and production of the three documentaries can be found on Carl Magnus Palm's
November 17, 2012
- Görel Hanser has been nominated for a Tenzingpriset,
a Swedish award launched by financial consulting company Tenzing in 2009 that acknowledges "behind the scenes"
advisors who have contributed to a great achievement. She is the only woman to be nominated this year. The award
ceremony takes place today; here
is an interview in Swedish to P4 Radio's Lotta Bromé broadcast yesterday and a related article in
- Björn has formally joined the creative team of "Hjälp Sökes", debuting on February 8th, 2013 at
the Orion Theatre in Stockholm. In a press release, producer Agnes Rosenberg said: "With Björn and Benny's patented
lyrical and musical creations, Kristina Lugn's poetic playwriting and Lars Rudolfsson's magical designs, 'Help Wanted'
will be a unique project", noting that Björn had expressed interest in the project from the outset so it was
natural for him to join the team. Rehearsals begin on December 3.
November 7, 2012
Benny formally received his honorary doctorate (Philosophical Faculty) from Luleå Technical University
during a ceremony this past Saturday, November 10. Three other honorary doctorates were conferred on author Margaret
Kempe; Eva Karlsson, president of manufacturing company SKF; and bridges expert Tore Lundmark. Each doctorate received
a special hat, ring and diploma. Parts of Benny's new composition "En skrift i snön" were sung by the School of
Music Chamber Choir during the ceremony.
The day before, the honorary doctors gave lectures to the university. Instead of a traditional lecture, Benny answered
questions by Professor Jan Berg (see photo). He talked about his father and grandfather, both of whom played accordion,
and that he had been playing music every day since childhood. He also spoke about his first hit, 1966's "Sunny Girl"
with Hep Stars, and how he thought back then at the age of 20 that his future was likely in music. Other milestones
he referenced were of course the formation of ABBA, building Polar Studios, CHESS, Kristina, as well as the 1987 album
"Klinga Mina Klockor", which he released against the advice of many but still became a success. His comments were
interjected with pieces of music he is inspired by.
"Music that speaks directly to your stomach, that's what you want to keep. Sometime's it's just rubbish when writing,
but when four bars turn up that speak to me, I'll know right away, thankfully. It's the selection I make that others
then hear. But I don't really know how it's all done and I have to be content with that, so you have to be as well."
Here is a report by
Norbottens Kuriren which includes a short video interview. Photos: Leif Nyberg
- Benny along with Helen Sjöholm, Göran Arnberg and Olle Moreaus will be performing during this year's
morning celebration of Lucia (Saint Lucy) day at Uppsala Cathedral. The ceremony will take place on December 13,
St. Lucia Day, and will be broadcast on SVT. The celebration will air on SVT2 at 7:00 a.m. and will be repeated on
the same channel at 6:00 p.m. as well as on SVT24 at 10:15 p.m.
- Björn attended a tribute concert to the Hootenanny Singers given by former band mates Hansi Schwarz and
Tony Rooth at the Lund City Theatre on Wednesday 14 November.
In a short interview
with Skånska Dagbladet given before the concert and published yesterday, Björn said that "Kristina
från Duvemala" will likely return to Sweden in one to two years. He added he hasn't really thought about the
Hootenanny Singers over the past 40 years as their music isn't played on the radio, and that he couldn't remember the
songs well enough to sing them, even the ones to which he had written the lyrics. Surprisingly, he also mentioned that
he is now working with Benny on the new musical "Hjälp Sökes" (see
No. 67), debuting in February 2013 at the Orion Theatre.
- Björn and Görel Hanser attended the 2012 Swedish MPA Awards ceremony, hosted by Musikförläggarna
(the Swedish Music Publisher's Association) at the Berns Hotel in Stockholm on November 9. The annual event honours
Swedish songwriters, lyricists and composers of both popular and classical music in 9 different categories. This
year's winners included "Euphoria" for Song of the Year, while pop musician Eva Dahlgren won this year's Honorary
Award and DJ/record producer Tim Bergling (Avicii) won the year's International Success Award. Photos: Ivan da Silva
- "Dancing Queen" was the #3 song on Belgian Radio 2's Top 70 list for this year. "Chiquitita" took the #7 spot, while
the year's #1 went to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". Thanks to our Belgian correspondent Stany!
October 30, 2012
- Agnetha met and had a brief chat with Jennifer Lopez backstage after her concert performance at Stockholm's
Ericsson Globe Arena on Monday night. Jörgen Elofsson, who is producing Agnetha's new album, co-wrote the song
"Until It Beats No More" for Jennifer Lopez in 2011. Here
is Expressen's short report.
Photos: Tommy Pedersen
October 24, 2012
- Björn and Lena are donating SEK three million (app. 348.000 euro) to a research project at
in Sweden, one of the world's leading medical universities. The donation will be divided over three years to finance
research into blood diseases. "I'm delighted that we are to receive this donation, as it will enable us to develop
and carry out new research projects," said Professor Eva Hellström Lindberg, who will be leading the project
with a group of researchers. "We understand how complex these diseases are and that there is so much more for research
to uncover," said Lena and Björn. "So we're particularly pleased to be able to make this very concrete contribution
to the research."
- The Friends Arena, a new retractable roof multi-purpose stadium
in Stockholm and the largest in the Nordic countries, had its grand opening on October 27th. The opening ceremony was
attended by 45000 people including Björn and Lena. The theme of the opening ceremony was "Swedish Moments" and
performers included Roxette, Loreen and The Hives. It was broadcast live on SVT1. Tommy Körberg performed his
new duet with Danny Saucedo, "I Can See Myself With You" with lyrics by Björn, and he also performed "Anthem"
from CHESS. Aftonbladet's short report
includes many photos.
- A new premiere of Mamma Mia! took place in Moscow on Saturday, October 27th. Thanks to Dmitry Shipov!
October 22, 2012
- ABBA No. 67 has been published and is now being mailed to our members!
Our 36-page, full colour A4 size magazine is as always full of news, special features, exclusive photos, an A3 sized
poster showcasing a rare ABBA photo and great prizes to be won. We're happy to have secured a high-quality alternate
shot from the 1982 photo session for "The Singles - The First Ten Years" for this issue's cover – your most
requested session. In No. 67, you'll find:
We thank all members for their support and look forward to your feedback in our guestbook or via email!
- A full report on ABBA The Museum with exclusive behind-the-scenes details and info you won't find elsewhere
- All of the latest news and ABBA/ABBA-related releases (including new CDs and books, ABBA at Madame Tussauds, Agnetha's
new album, Björn on the TV show Skavlan, interview with Björn for German press and much more)
- Full report on Benny's new musical project, "Hjälp sökes", with exclusive info and photos
- Exclusive interview with Peter Jöback, the Swedish star who originated the role of Robert in "Kristina från Duvemåla"
- Report and exclusive photos on BAO's Uppsala concert this past August
- Special feature launch: Frida—Something's Going On (including album discography)
- Continuation of our feature on The Visitors, including an exclusive interview with Bertil Hjert about "Hovas Vittne"
- Our competition with exclusive prizes to be won:
- Tickets for the general rehearsal of "Hjälp Sökes" on February 7, 2013
- Brand new ABBA merchandising – new official ABBA caps
- A3 size poster featuring a rare unpublished outtake from ABBA's rehearsal for the "Dancing Queen" video in 1976
- The release date for the Deluxe Edition of the "ABBA" album in Germany is now November 16th, followed by a worldwide
release a few days later.
Benny and Björn's "Du är min man", a 2004 BAO track sung by Helen Sjöholm that spent 60
weeks at the top of the Swedish charts, was recently voted the number one song in the 50-year history of Svensktoppen
by listeners. Benny and Björn were presented with a cake by broadcasters Carolina Norén and Ulf Elfving.
About the lyrics, Björn said: "I hadn't seen a lyric with this angle before – a woman singing about a man
who feels he is a bit inadequate. My wife could have said this to me!" "Du är min man" received 38 percent of
the vote, while "Guldet blev till sand" from Kristina från Duvemåla, sung by Peter Jöback, received
See more photos and listen to short comments from Benny and Björn on Svensktoppen's
page on the P4 radio website.
October 16, 2012
- As reported, Benny performed at Studio Acusticum in Piteå on Sunday, October 21, inaugurating the world's
most modern organ. The choir of Piteå's School of Music performed the 11-minute-song "En skrift i snön"
together with Benny, Orsa Spelmän and organist Gunnar Idenstam. After a break, Benny and Orsa Spelmän
performed around 10 Swedish folk songs, giving an encore and receiving standing ovations from the audience. Read the
full report in our ABBA issue No. 68. Meanwhile,
here is a short video from
SVT and a great review in
Swedish by Norrbottens Kuriren.
Special thanks to Heiko Siekmann!
October 11, 2012
In addition to the new BAO Christmas album, a new box set of 6 CDs and 2 DVDs called BAO in Box is also
scheduled to be released on November 14. It will contain a total of 87 tracks for over 5 hours of music as well as a
booklet with photos, band history, member biographies and more. The CDs include previously-released material that has
been re-organised thematically:
- one CD with fiddle music (Spelmanslåtar)
- one with orchestra tracks (Orkestermusik)
- two CDs including all tracks with vocals (Sång, Helen Sjöholm and/or Tommy Körberg)
- the "BAO på Turné" live CD
- the "Tomten har åkt hem" Christmas CD
The double DVD will feature the TV programme "10 Years of Benny Andersson's Orchestra" with live performances recorded
at Helsingborg and Göteborg during the summer of 2011 as well as "Benny Andersson's Orchestra on new adventures",
recorded at the Rabarber restaurant in Stockholm in 2001. The DVD contains two bonus tracks not aired on television.
Please note that the new Christmas CD can be ordered separately as well.
- Here is the track listing for "Tomten har åkt hem (Santa has gone home)":
Marsch Militaire / Tomten har åkt hem / Julvals / Tomtestomp / Knalle Juls vals / Tomtarnas vaktparad /
Vinterhamn / Mössens julafton (När nätterna blir långa) / Trettondagspolkan / Julpotpurri /
Nu tändas tusen juleljus
- Expressen ran an article
with some new comments from Benny on the chances of an ABBA reunion or of them appearing at next year's
Eurovision Song Contest in Malmö. About going to ESC: "It's not on the map". About a reunion: "A reunion is
incredibly far away. It has never been so far away. Light years."
However, Benny was able to share that he has listened to some of Agnetha's new recordings.
"It's great that she's doing it. I have listened to a bit. It sounds incredibly modern and good", he said.
October 4, 2012
Benny Anderssons Orkester is releasing an album of both old and new Christmas music on November 14. The CD is
titled "Tomten har åkt hem (Santa has come home)". We will post a track listing as soon as it is available.
- Björn has written the lyrics to a new duet by Tommy Körberg and Swedish Idol alumnus Danny
Saucedo called "I Can See Myself In You". The music is by Tobias Gustavsson. The song will be released as a digital
single by Universal on October 15.
- Benny will be performing in northern Sweden on October 21 at Studio Acusticum,
a concert hall in Piteå, to premiere a new musical composition with Orsa Spelmän as part of the 2012 Piteå
Organ Symposium & Festival. The centerpiece of the concert hall is a brand-new, state-of-the-art organ instrument,
for which Benny was asked to compose a piece.
Two days ago, he and close colleague Göran Arnberg visited the hall for rehearsals. Speaking to
Benny said: "A couple of years ago I was asked to write an inaugural piece for the organ, and I am glad to say yes to
things I have never done before. But when I thought about it, I realized I actually have no such knowledge, so I called
and said it's probably not a good idea." However, the people involved in the project thought differently. "When they
said I could do whatever I want and that I did not have to think about the organist, it felt easier. The result is a
rhapsody story in folk music style. You can say it's a long polka of ten minutes."
Asked about BAO's new Christmas CD, Benny said: "It's called 'Tomten har åkt hem' (Santa has gone home) but
internally we call it 'BAO:s lilla röda' (BAO's little red one). We thought everyone else is releasing Christmas
records, so we can do it as well. The orchestra is able to play things that a usual band can't do, this feels good."
Benny's piece is titled En skrift i snön, Rapsodie för orgel, blandad kör, flöjt, flygel och fioler
(Writing in the snow, Rhapsody for organ, mixed chorus, flute, piano and violins). The lyrics are by Kristina Lugn.
The day's programme can be viewed here.
October 3, 2012
- Breaking Agnetha news! Staffan Lindé, Agnetha's spokesperson, has confirmed to Swedish media that Agnetha
is in the studio working on a new album. Reports say the album is being produced by Jörgen Elofsson, a Swedish
songwriter who has written or co-written hits for stars such as Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson and Guy Sebastian. We
will keep you informed. Here are reports from Svenska Dagbladet
October 2, 2012
The official sites for both ABBA - The Museum and
the Swedish Music Hall of Fame have launched today
with new information concerning the new permanent ABBA museum after today's press conference. The museum will take
up the majority of the Swedish Hall of Fame at Djurgårdsvägen 68, next to the Gröna Lund amusement
park and a 5 minute walk from the Vasa Museum.
The building will house three permanent exhibitions: ABBA The Museum, The Swedish Music Hall of Fame and The History
of Swedish Popular Music, with entrance tickets valid for access to the entire building.
The new format is a continuation of the plans originally developed with Touring Exhibitions, the company originally
formed to operate ABBAWORLD. Mattias Hansson is the museum's new CEO.
The new opening date has been listed as sometime in April or May of 2013, and tickets will be available on the
website as well as by phone at +46 771 75 75 75. Complete details can be found on
abbathemuseum.com; we will inform you as soon as we
have further information.
September 13, 2012
A press conference to announce the plans for a permanent ABBA exhibition at the upcoming Swedish Music Hall of Fame
at Djurgården will be held tomorrow, Wednesday 3 October in Stockholm. The event will be attended by Björn
and the new museum concept will be unveiled at this time. Organisers have said that the ABBA members will be donating
instruments, clothing and more. We will update you as soon as we have more information.
- ABBA Gold has been confirmed as the UK's biggest selling Compact Disc of all time yesterday, as the musical
format celebrated its 30th birthday. The compilation has sold 4 million copies according to the
Official Charts Company. Adele follows in the #2 spot,
with her 21 album having sold more than 3.5 million copies so far.
- Here are the completed Madame Tussauds waxwork models of ABBA as displayed at a roller disco in the Renaissance Room
at the museum's London location. The figures will embark on a world tour to other Madame Tussauds locations including
Vienna, Berlin, Amsterdam and Blackpool. Each figure cost £150,000 and took four months to create. After the
tour, the ABBA waxworks will take up their permanent position in the Music Zone of Madame Tussauds London alongside
Michael Jackson and the Beatles.
September 12, 2012
- A press conference was held today for the new musical "Hjälp sökes (Help wanted)", with music
written by Benny and premiering at Stockholm's Orion Theatre
in February 2013. Benny, playwright Kristina Lugn, director Lars Rudolfsson as well as participating actors were
present for interviews and photos. More exclusive photos and a full report to follow in our next fan club magazine (No. 67).
September 8, 2012
Universal have just announced the release of the Deluxe Edition of the "ABBA" album this November. The
package will include a CD with three bonus tracks as well as a DVD with 60 minutes of previously unreleased TV performances
including 1976's ABBA in Australia programme, 1975's Made In Sweden - For Export, two performances from the BBC archives
and two vintage commercials. There will also be a 24-page booklet with fresh insights fron Benny and Björn. The
complete track listing can be found here.
- As reported in June, Benny has composed the music for an upcoming documentary about former Swedish prime
minister Olof Palme. The music is performed by Benny Anderssons Orkester. Here
is the official trailer for the documentary, which includes the song "Sorgmarsch" from BAO's O Klang och Jubeltid album.
The documentary will premiere in Swedish cinemas this Friday, September 14.
September 5, 2012
- Famed wax museum Madame Tussauds is creating waxworks
of the four members of ABBA to be unveiled this autumn. The four sculptures will be unveiled in the Music Zone
portion of the London location before traveling to other Madame Tussauds branches around the world. The group will be
captured in their iconic 1975 "S.O.S./cat" era costumes and hairstyles.
- Björn took part in the eighth season premiere of Norwegian-Swedish television talk show
Skavlan. Hosted by journalist Fredrik Skavlan, Skavlan is the
most watched talk show in Scandinavia. The episode was taped on Thursday and aired last night.
August 28, 2012
- A new contemporary musical titled "Hjälp sökes (Help wanted)", featuring music by Benny, lyrics by
Kristina Lugn and direction by Lars Rudolfsson, will be premiering at the Orion Teatern in Stockholm on February 8, 2013
as part of the theatre's 30th anniversary celebration. Tickets will be available beginning September 17th at 12 a.m.
Swedish time. Tickets will be available at the theatre, the theatre's website
and on Ticnet.
August 26, 2012
- Frida is auctioning off a collection of designer clothing and accessories from her wardrobe through
Stockholms Auktionsverk, the world's oldest auction
house, founded in 1674 in Sweden. Titled Frida's Collection, and part of the house's broader
Fashion & Lifestyle series, the set includes around 70 pieces consisting of dresses, costumes, footwear
and handbags designed by Chanel, Gucci, Hermès, Donna Karan and others. There will be a viewing from 7 to 10
September at the auction house on Nybrogatan 32 in Stockholm, with the auction taking place on 11 September at 4:00 p.m.
The items can also be viewed online
via high-resolution images, and it is also possible to place bids online.
Proceeds from the auction will go to a charity which will be unveiled on the day of the auction.
Thanks to Anna Hamilton of Stockholms Auktionsverk!
August 25, 2012
- BAO performed their only concert this summer in Uppsala yesterday as part of a tribute to Swedish fiddler Eric
Sahlström. Performing to an audience of about 7.000 at Vaksala Square, Benny mentioned that the last time he had
appeared in Uppsala was back in 1965 with Hep Stars. Once again, the band performed several ABBA songs including
"Kisses of Fire". Here
is a report by Uppsala Nya Tidning (in Swedish); a short audio interview with Benny, also in Swedish, can be
More photos in our next issue.
August 15, 2012
- Benny has been appointed an honorary doctor by the Luleå University of Technology in Sweden.
From the press release: "With his musical works he is top world class. For half a century he has developed an unique
skillfulness crossing many boundaries when it comes to music, technique, acting and dance, which matches the
philosophical faculty's profile very well." Thanks to Egbert!
As noted on its website,
Benny will be in the vicinity of the university in October, when he will visit the Studio Acusticum in Piteå
to premiere a new musical composition (with Orsa Spelmän).
July 27, 2012
- A new documentary about the history of the Polar Music Prize over the last 20 years, produced by Sweden's TV4,
is available for viewing here.
Thanks to Carl Magnus Palm!
Additionally, and in connection with the Polar Music Prize's 20th anniversary, a virtual exhibition will be launched
on the prize's homepage. The exhibition will span the
20-year history of the prize as well as present Stig Anderson's founding vision for it.
As a reminder, this year's ceremony will take place on Tuesday 28 August at the Stockholm Concert Hall; recipients of
the 2012 prize are Paul Simon and Yo-Yo Ma.
July 23, 2012
- From February 2013 on the musical "Mamma Mia!" will be played in Stuttgart again for 6 months. Tickets are
available from Stage Entertainment.
July 19, 2012
- The new issue of German magazine Good Times (4/2012) shows
ABBA on the cover and includes two pages with the article, two pages discography and a single page interview with
Thanks to Norbert Klammt!
July 16, 2012
- Here are some more photos from the ABBA mini exhibition "Thank You For The Music"
at the Music and Theatre Museum in Stockholm.
July 14, 2012
- With great sadness we have to inform you that Jon Lord
has died of pancreatic cancer this morning, July 16, 2012. Jon Lord has recorded the song
"The sun will shine again" together with Frida in 2004, he was a member of the legendary group Deep Purple
("Smoke on the water") until 2002. Our deepest sympathies go to his family.
July 12, 2012
- The Music and Theatre Museum in Stockholm has removed the long-running exhibition "Ensembler i Sverige" (1996 - 2011)
which included the old ABBA corner built with the help of . But now there is a new
"Thank You For The Music" to be seen until November 4, 2012! They have stage costumes from the 1979 tour and one of Frida's
Thanks to Ralf Hendricks for the photos!
June 30, 2012
- Melanie C. and Emma Bunton (of the Spice Girls) have recorded a cover version of "I know him so well" from the
musical "Chess" for Melanie's new album "Stages".
Many thanks to Adriaan A.T. Hout from Holland.
June 25, 2012
- ABBA No. 66 has now been published and is being mailed to our members!
Our 36-page, full colour A4 size magazine is as usual full of news, special features, exclusive photos, a poster with
a rare unpublished outtake from ABBA's May 1974 photo session in Spain, and great prizes to be won. We are very proud
to announce that Frida has given an exclusive interview to us for this issue. In No. 66, you'll find:
- All of the latest news and ABBA/ABBA-related releases (new CD and book releases, Frida at Zermatt Unplugged, Agnetha
at the Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Art Awards gala, Björn in Sans magasin, interviews for Day 6 and European
Broadcasting Union Radio, Benny at Grimstaskolan, and the latest news on CHESS and Kristina från Duvemåla)
- Frida talks to about 40 years of ABBA, 30 years of Something's Going On and more
- Exclusive interview with Ingmarie Halling, ABBA's "wardrobe lady"
- Exclusive interview with Plastic Bertrand, the punk legend from ABBAcadabra
- Behind the scenes: "Thank You for the Music – 40 Years of ABBA" VOX documentary
- Special feature launch: The Visitors
- More Reader's Stories
- The last part of our series "ABBA in Spain" featuring posters published in Spain
- Our competition with exclusive prizes to be won; this time, promotional ABBA posters from the Lois Jeans campaign
plus copies (limited edition box set, CD sets and DVDs) of the new release ABBA – The Essential Collection
- An A3 size poster featuring an alternate shot of ABBA during their visit to Spain in May 1974
We thank all our members for your support and look forward to your feedback in our guestbook or via email!
June 24, 2012
- Between 14:00 and 16:00 local time on Sundays, German local station Osradio 104,8 will broadcast the
Oldie Charts. You can vote on their website
until Thursday evening. Every user has 5 votes for tracks already in the charts or newcomers, including ABBA of course.
June 20, 2012
- Benny along with Orsa Spelmän and concert organist Gunnar Idenstam will be playing at the 2012 Piteå
Organ Symposium & Festival in the north of Sweden on October 21. Tickets are now on sale at
- Benny has written the score for PALME,
a feature film about Olof Palme, the pivotal Swedish prime minister whose 1986 murder has never been resolved.
Produced by B-Reel Feature Films, the film will be released on September 14 by Scanbox Entertainment Sweden.
- Benny attended the annual Spring Festival held by SKAP
(Svenska Kompositörer Av Populärmusik), the Swedish association for professional composers, lyricists and
arrangers, on Monday 28 May at Stockholm’s Grand Hôtel. Here
is a video with a short interview (in Swedish) from that evening.
is a newly-posted video of Benny participating in the recording sessions for the new album by Swedish singer
Frida Hyvönen, recorded at Benny's Rixmixningsverket studio last fall. An older video shot during recording
sessions for singer-songwriter Anna Ternheim at Rixmixningsverket, also featuring Benny, can be seen
- Agnetha attended the 30th Anniversary of the Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Art Awards gala at the Grand
Hôtel in Stockholm on Thursday 7 June. The winner of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest, Loreen, was
honoured. Other guests included Prince Carl Philip, Carola, Tommy Körberg and other celebrities and Swedish/foreign
royals. Commenting on Loreen, Agnetha said: "Fantastic! I wish her success. She is an exciting artist in every way."
You can see photos in our upcoming issue, ABBA No. 66.
June 16, 2012
- The programme "Oldie Charts" will be aired on www.osradio.de
on Sundays from 14:00 to 16:00 local time. You can vote for one song online until Thursday. ABBA are at number 15
with the Swedish original version of "Waterloo" right now. Please vote to keep ABBA in the charts.
June 7, 2012
- ABBA - The Essential Collection is up to number 16 on the German album sales charts. ABBA Gold has
re-entered the charts at position 34.
June 4, 2012
- Björn and Benny will be in Finnish TV on June 11 at 21:00 local time, in a show called
En kväll med Anne och Hannah (an evening with
Anne and Hannah) on the channel YLE TV5. They will talk about their friendship. The programme can be viewed on the
website after the broadcast.
Thanks to Marina Högström!
June 1, 2012
- A warm welcome to all our new members who have joined us since the ABBA documentary aired on VOX TV!
And a big thank you for all the mails, comments, guestbook entries etc.
The mails will be answered in the
next few days.
- The ABBA documentary on June 2 had sensational
More than 1 million viewers (around 12%) have watched the 4-hour show.
May 19, 2012
- Lars Rudolfsson and Görel Hanser have attended the final spring season performance of Kristina från Duvemåla
in Helsinki. Benny and Björn were not there, the main roles were done by the original cast members, only Nöjd
was played by an understudy and an alternative conductor was leading the orchestra. A new poster for 5 Euros was sold at the
Thanks to Pentti Koponen!
May 15, 2012
- ABBA Gold has now sold more than 5 million copies in the
Thanks to Alan and Thomas!
May 11, 2012
- English-language newspaper The Local reports
that a rock-and-roll museum dedicated to 400 Swedish music acts that have influenced the Swedish music industry over
the last 90 years - naturally to include ABBA - is being planned in Stockholm. It is unclear if or how this new museum,
to be opened in Djurgården next year, will relate to the anticipated permanent ABBAWORLD exhibition, also planned
for Stockholm. The new "Swedish Hall of Fame" is being privately and anonymously funded and is intended to operate as
a non-profit organisation. Thanks also to Micke Bayart for the link to this report
from SVT today (in Swedish).
May 8, 2012
- Apart from the big ABBA special "Thank You For The Music - 40 Jahre ABBA" on German TV
VOX on June 2, there will be another
documentation on the encrypted "Goldstar TV", included in the Sky pay-TV bundle, on June 15.
Thanks to Carl Magnus Palm!
May 2, 2012
- The release dates for the upcoming compilation The Essential Collection have changed worldwide except for
Germany, in order to coincide with the upcoming 4-hour ABBA documentary which will be broadcast on the German VOX
channel on June 2nd. The release date for Germany remains May 25th, while elsewhere the three configurations (CD only,
DVD only, or limited-edition CD+DVD) will now be released in early September.
- The recipients of this year's Polar Music Prize were
announced today; singer-songwriter Paul Simon and cellist Yo-Yo Ma will receive 1 million kronor each and an invitation
to the prize ceremony in Stockholm on August 28th. The prestigious award was founded in 1989 by Stig Anderson and is
usually shared by a pop/rock musician and a classical musician. The Award Committee is comprised of experienced members
of the music industry.
April 29, 2012
- ABBA are featured in a special 50th anniversary campaign for Spanish denim maker Lois Jeans,
founded in 1962. The jeans became popular in the 70s, with many celebrities endorsing the label. ABBA were photographed
wearing Lois Jeans and T-shirts in Stockholm in the summer of 1975, though the website lists the year as 1973.
April 25, 2012
- As reported in No. 65, the German TV channel VOX will show the
"Thank You For The Music - 40 Jahre ABBA" on June 2, 2012 at 20:15 local time. The programme
will cover the history of ABBA featuring interviews with Cindy and Bert, Carl Magnus Palm, Peter Maffay, Jürgen
Drews, Marianne Rosenberg, Ingmarie Halling, Bubi Heilemann, Owe Sandström, Mando Diao and others.
There is a possibility the work of will also be mentioned.
April 21, 2012
- Youtube has a video about the
German CHESS staging in Bielefeld. Thanks to Daniel!
April 20, 2012
- The four ABBA members are joining forces to sponsor a family in the Central African Republic in support of the
SOS Children's Villages organisation, reports
Swedish newspaper Dagens industri.
Along with Polar Music and Union Songs, the ABBA members will sponsor the construction of a home for ten orphans in
the town of Bossangoa.
"SOS Children's Villages has a very serious and long-term approach. We were impressed by it and thought it would be
nice to have a house in the village", said Björn. He has never been to the Central African Republic (CAR), but
the house that will be built has inspired him to find out more about the country and possibly visiting there in the
future. "It will be difficult to get all four ABBA members to go there at once. We have not talked about it, but it's
something I want to do eventually."
When asked about his philosophy regarding private money donations to charity, Björn said: "You have to be convinced
that the money really goes where it should. That was what convinced us. This project will happen and it's real - and
it's not a lot of middlemen who take away some of the funds along the way."
Thanks to Carl Magnus Palm!
April 15, 2012
- This year's Zermatt Unplugged festival, an annual music
event held in Zermatt, Switzerland and partly produced by Frida, wraps up today. Among this year's performers were
Lauryn Hill and Chris de Burgh, who sang "S.O.S.". Frida can be seen taking pictures of the preparations on a
while she can also be seen at a dinner party kicking off the event in this video
(briefly at 00:25 and then again at 1:35, where she talks about the evening and Chris de Burgh).
Thanks to Susanna Staritz and Ursula Frühwirt!
April 7, 2012
- An update from Touring Exhibitions: Due to a few difficulties with the planned exhibition site in Stockholm, there is
still no date for the opening. Plans are now for the end of 2012, but it is likely the opening will not take place
before 2013. We will keep you posted!
- For the second year in a row, ABBA's "The winner takes it all" occupies the No. 1 spot on Belgian Radio 2's TOP 80 of
the '80s, voted for by the listeners. "The day before you came" is at No. 15, "Super Trouper" is at No. 22, and Agnetha's
"Wrap your arms around me" is at No. 28. Thanks to our Belgian correspondent Stany!
- ABBA Gold holds the No. 3 spot in a newly-compiled chart of best-selling albums in the United Kingdom, having
sold 4.9 million copies since its 1992 release. The Top 40 list of top selling albums was compiled for the BBC by the
Official Charts Company. The No. 1 and No. 2 spots are
held by Queen's "Greatest Hits" (5.8 million) and the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (5 million)
- Björn has written a column for the April 2012 issue of Sans magasin,
the existential Swedish journal promoting secular ethics and politics. In the article (titled "Du måste finnas")
and on the occasion of the new Finnish production of Kristina från Duvemåla, Björn examines the possibility
of genetic pre-disposal to religious impulses and how these impulses can vary from person to person. Read the article
(in Swedish) here.
- Björn gave a brief phone interview from Stockholm to Day 6, a Canadian weekly news magazine
broadcast on CBC Radio One and hosted by Brent Bambury. Episode 73, "The End of Money", was broadcast on 14 April and
examined the prospect of a cashless society, something for which Björn has previously advocated.
Björn explained that he first became interested in the movement to make Sweden a cash-free society after his son
Christian was robbed three times in Sweden. "Sweden is a small country," he said. "Swedish krona is a small currency
and it's only used between these borders, which means we could be the first ones out. Some people are like Uncle Scrooge
types who like the money itself, the coins and the bills, but they are very few. And they're getting fewer."
The podcast of the programme is available for download here;
the interview with Björn begins about a minute into the show.
March 28, 2012
Universal have announced the release of ABBA - The Essential Collection on May 21, 2012 (Catalogue No. Polar 00602527993720),
which will be replacing 2001's The Definitive Collection and feature updated liner notes from ABBA historian Carl Magnus
Palm. The release will come in three different configurations: a double-CD, a DVD, and a Limited Edition package featuring
the two CDs, the DVD and an illustrated 28-page booklet.
The DVD features all official ABBA promo clips in remastered form as well as two previously unreleased videos: "Conociéndome,
Conociéndote" and "Gracias por la música" (Spanish versions of "Knowing Me, Knowing You" and "Thank You
For The Music"). The track listing can be found on the official website.
March 17, 2012
- The Record Store Day web site now has a list
of participating record stores in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. These stores will sell the
limited edition 12" single
with the Extended Dance Remix of ABBA's "Voulez-Vous" from April 21 on.
March 16, 2012
- UR, the Swedish Educational Broadcasting Company, recently produced a series for Swedish television called "The songs
that changed music (Låtarna som förändrade musiken)". The multi-part series takes a closer look at
the last 50 years of music history by analysing the songs that most influenced its development. On one of the shows
in the series focusing on music from Sweden, broadcast on 13 March on SVT2, Benny discusses how 1973's "Ring Ring"
was the first ABBA song to employ the famous Phil Spector-pioneered "wall of sound" technique. The segment includes a
dissection from Benny in the studio, where parts of the instruments used on the track as well as some amazing a capella
harmonising from Frida and Agnetha can be heard.
The programme is viewable here
until 13 September 2012; visitors outside Sweden can watch the segment here
(with English subtitles).
March 15, 2012
- ABBA No. 65 has now been published and is being mailed to our members!
Our 36-page, full colour A4 size magazine is once again full of news, special features, exclusive photos, a poster
with a rare unpublished outtake from "The Visitors" photo session, and great prizes to be won. Inside this issue, you
- All of the latest news and ABBA/ABBA-related releases
- An interview with Carl Magnus Palm
- A full report on the preview, press premiere and public premiere of Kristina från Duvemåla in Finland, including special fan reports and photos
- An interview with Anne Wood, Mamma Mia! Australia's original Donna, about her new CD of ABBA cover versions
- Part 4 of our series "ABBA in Spain" featuring a complete Spanish discography
- An interview with Chris Norman about his work with Agnetha on the album "Wrap Your Arms Around Me"
- The last instalment of our special feature on Super Trouper, this time about posters of that era
- An interview with Nils Landgren, "The man with the red horn", about his collaborations with ABBA and Benny
- More readers' stories
- Our competition with exclusive prizes to be won; this time, copies of the new Deluxe Edition of "The Visitors" and signed CD copies from our interviewees, Anne Wood, Chris Norman and Nils Landgren
- An A3 size poster featuring an alternate shot of ABBA during their "The Visitors" album photo session
We thank all our members for your support and look forward to your feedback!
March 10, 2012
- With all performances sold out, Chess is the most successful musical production in Bielefeld, Germany over the last years.
Though the previous musicals at the Stadttheater were also very successful, no production reached the dreamlike 100%
sold out seats at all 15 performances given so far. 10,000 have seen the musical around the popular actors Veit
Schäfermeier, Roberta Valentini and Alex Melcher. The next planned performances are also sold out.
Therefore Theater Bielefeld will add an extra final (!) run of four more performances: Saturday, 12.05. (7:30 PM),
Sunday 27.05. (3 PM), Sunday 03.06. (7:30 PM) plus Tuesday 19.06. (8 PM local time). Tickets are available at the box
office, Niederwall 23 (phone +49 521/51 54 54), all ticket agencies and online from
March 7, 2012February 29, 2012
- An avant premiere of the Argentinian production of Mamma Mia! took place March 4 at the Teatro Opera Citi in
Buenos Aires. The cast:
Marisol Otero (Donna Sheridan) / Paula Reca (Sophie Sheridan) / Gabriela Bevacqua (Tanya) / Silvana Tomé
(Rosie) / Germán Barceló (Sam Carmichael) / Diego Bros (Harry Bright) / Mariano Muso (Bill Austin) /
Luciano Bassi (Sky) / Adrián Scaramella (Eddie) / Celeste Sanazi (Ali) / Anabella Simonetti (Lisa) / Julián Rubino (Pepper) / Mariano Taccagni (Father Alexandrios)
Tickets are available through Ticketek in Argentina.
Here is a nice picture of Argentinian ABBA fans outside the theatre on the day of the preview. Special thanks to
Nancy Digiácomo (in her self-made 1977 tour blouse)!
- Jean-Marie Potiez, well-known among ABBA fans for his French-language books about the group, has just published a new
Swedish cookbook aimed at the French-speaking market called "La Suede A Table (Sweden On the Table)".
It features 50 traditional Swedish recipes (starters, main courses and desserts). The book also contains many
beautiful photos of Sweden and Stockholm.
February 28, 2012
- Benny and Björn's new production of Kristina från Duvemåla opened officially to
the Finnish public this evening. Tonight's guests included Peter and Nanne Grönvall, the Finnish representatives
to the ESC for this and last year, as well as politicians and other dignitaries. More details, photos and reports in
our next issue. Meanwhile, here
is a review from Finnish newspaper Kainuun Sanomat (in Finnish), which notes that 62 000 tickets have been
sold so far, with demand coming from as far as South America, Japan and Australia.
- Last night saw the press premiere of Kristina in Helsinki. Among the attending celebrities were Anders Eljas, Gunilla
Backman (Donna in the Stockholm production of Mamma Mia!) with husband Christer Sturmark, and Swedish actress Sissela
Kyle. The new production is more compact; as a result, the pace of the show is faster, which should be an advantage
for future foreign language productions. There was much applause during the show as well as during the curtain call,
at which time Benny, Björn and Lars Rudolfsson stepped on to the stage. Before the performance, Björn
stopped for a few autographs, while afterwards, Benny made time for the fans after press photos, signing autographs
and posing for more photos. Actors Maria Ylipää, Robert Noack and Oskar Nilsson came out of the theatre
together and also gladly posed for photos and signed autographs.
Here is a report
in Swedish from Hufvudstadsbladet which includes photos; Aftonbladet's report
includes photos and video.
February 26, 2012
- A special private performance of Kristina took place at Svenska Teatern on Monday for guests of Helsingin Sanomat
newspaper and fashion magazine Gloria, both sponsors of the production. Meanwhile, a huge promotional campaign
for Kristina has begun in Helsinki, with ads appearing on buses and trams; a jumbo David Beckham advert on the corner
of the Forum shopping centre has just been replaced with a full-size photo of Maria Ylipää as Kristina.
February 25, 2012
"Divine Discontent", the new album of ABBA cover songs by Anne Wood (Australia's Donna from 2001-2002 and
2009-2010), has now been released. The album is a jazz-inspired, stripped-down work of particular interest as it
contains the first official recording of an unreleased Benny and Björn song, "The Day the Wall Came Tumbling Down",
previously performed in concert by Barbara Dickson. Here is the track listing:
2. The Day Before You Came
3. Knowing Me, Knowing You
4. I Wonder (Departure)
5. Dance (While the Music Still Goes On)
6. Money, Money, Money
7. Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
8. The Winner Takes It All
9. When All Is Said And Done
10. I Have A Dream/Slipping Through My Fingers
11. The Day The Wall Came Tumbling Down
The album can be purchased on iTunes or directly from Anne Wood's website.
February 23, 2012
- The preview of Kristina took place last night. Finnish president Tarja Halonen was in attendance and went backstage
after the performance to meet the performers and creators.
February 9, 2012
- Here are some exclusive photos from the press conference for the new production of Kristina in Helsinki that took
place this past Tuesday, February 21 at Svenska Teatern. Stay tuned for our next issue, No. 65, for a full report on
the show's opening.
February 5, 2012
- In honour of this year's Record Store Day, a new
limited edition 12-inch vinyl ABBA single
will be released on Saturday, April 21. Side A will feature the extended dance remix of "Voulez-Vous", originally
released as a promo-only single in the United States and France, while side B will feature "If It Wasn't For The Nights".
This special release will be pressed on blue glitter vinyl, packaged in a cardboard sleeve and limited to 5,000 numbered
copies (catalogue number 00602527957302). It will be available for sale exclusively in
Record Store Day is an internationally celebrated day founded in the U.S. in 2007. It is observed the third Saturday
of April each year and celebrates the art of music, bringing together fans, artists, and the hundreds of independent
record stores across the world.
February 4, 2012
- Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat has published an interview
with Benny and Björn today as they prepare to launch Kristina in Finland. When asked about the
supposed "new" ABBA song on the upcoming Deluxe edition of The Visitors, the men said that was an exaggeration.
"It's just a demo of 'Like An Angel Passing Through My Room'. It's a good illustration of the process through which
the song developed," said Benny. When asked if there would be anything more from the ABBA archives released, he said
"No, thank God".
January 27, 2012
- Swedish TV4 aired a segment on its Nyhetsmorgon show today on the upcoming production of Kristina från
Duvemåla in Finland. It includes an interview with Björn and Benny, new rehearsal footage,
and comments from the main actors; a lucky theatre painter even gets her old Björn and Benny ABBA Matchbox dolls
signed by the men. Watch the segment here.
January 24, 2012
- In response to the many fan and media enquiries we have received as well as widespread but misguided press coverage,
please note that there is no "new" complete unreleased ABBA song on the forthcoming Deluxe edition of The Visitors.
"From A Twinkling Star to A Passing Angel" is a new title given to a string of previously-unreleased demo outtakes
woven into one track on the new CD, similar to the track called "ABBA Undeleted" consisting of demos which was released
January 22, 2012
- Universal have just announced
the release of The Visitors Deluxe Edition on April 23, 2012. It will include a demo medley called "From A
Twinkling Star To A Passing Angel", the first previously unreleased ABBA recording since 1994. The track listing:
DISC 01: CD
1. The Visitors
2. Head Over Heels
3. When All Is Said And Done
5. I Let The Music Speak
6. One Of Us
7. Two For The Price Of One
8. Slipping Through My Fingers
9. Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
- Bonus Tracks:
10. Should I Laugh Or Cry
11. I Am The City
12. You Owe Me One
14. Under Attack
15. The Day Before You Came
- Extra Bonus Track:
16. From A Twinkling Star To A Passing Angel (demos)
|DISC 02: DVD
1. Two For The Price Of One (Dick Cavett Meets ABBA)
2. Slipping Through My Fingers (Dick Cavett Meets ABBA)
3. When All Is Said And Done (Original Promo Clip)
4. ABBA In London, November 1982 (The Late Late Breakfast Show, BBC)
5. ABBA In Stockholm, November 1982 (Nöjesmaskinen, SVT)
6. The Visitors TV commercial I (UK)
7. The Visitors TV commercial II (Australia)
8. The Singles – The First Ten Years TV commercial I (UK)
9. The Singles – The First Ten Years TV commercial II (Australia)
10. International Sleeve Gallery
January 16, 2012
- Anne Wood, who played Donna in the Australian production of Mamma Mia! in 2009-10, is releasing an album of ABBA
cover songs in a few weeks. She told : "The album has a kind of late night
sound, with a small band and moody arrangements." Anne also told us that Benny and Björn have given her
permission to have a go at a composition that has never been recorded before: "When the walls came tumbling down", a
song originally written for an Elaine Paige/Barbara Dickson collaboration album that never materialised (see
More about Anne's new album in our next issue. Thanks to our Belgian correspondent Stany!
- Swedish newspaper Göteborgs Posten reported
yesterday that Björn will be one of the 2000 guests present at the opening of a large new business hotel
in Gothenburg's Drottningtorget (Queen's Square) this Thursday, January 26th. The
Clarion Hotel Post is located in the heart of Gothenburg,
in the old post office building next to the central station.
- Björn took part in a BBC4 documentary series on the history of musicals called
"The Story of Musicals" airing in three episodes
Episode 2 – detailing the rise of British musical talent in the West End in the 1980s – references CHESS,
with Björn discussing the genesis of the musical, the reviews it received and how the end of the Cold War affected
its long-term prospects. Björn jokes: "The bloody Iron Curtain had to come down and ruin the whole thing for us!
So it was bad timing." Tim Rice and Elaine Paige are also interviewed, and the episode includes footage from the London
and Broadway openings. You can watch this segment here.
In episode 3 about the rise of the "jukebox" musical, Björn discusses the creation of "Mamma Mia!". Judy Craymer
and Catherine Johnson are also interviewed. Parts of the video for "Waterloo", rehearsal footage, and footage from the
London and New York opening nights are shown. "I was ready at any point to put a stop to it, if I had felt that this
isn't going the right way, this is not good for ABBA", Björn said. Watch this segment
January 14, 2012
Here is a link to the full presentation of
the ELLE Fashion Legend Award to Agnetha and her acceptance speech. Thanks to Karin Wolters!
- Agnetha was given the "ELLE Fashion Legend" award by the Swedish edition of ELLE magazine
during its annual gala in Stockholm last night. The award was the last to be handed out at the ceremony, and a moved
Agnetha received a standing ovation from the audience. The statement from the jury read: "A brilliant superstar -
one voice in a million. A fashion legend, just as stylish now as then. Thanks for all the glittering outfits.
Thank you for the music. You are forever our dancing queen - Agnetha Fältskog." More pictures are available
on the ELLE website here, and
here is a short video of Agnetha's
acceptance speech taken by a member of the audience.
- Benny appeared briefly in a Swedish TV documentary called "Året var 1962" (The Year was 1962) broadcast
on SVT on New Year's Day. He was shown in short segments about singer Anita Lindblom and famous chess player Bobby
Fischer, who won a chess tournament in Stockholm that year.
- We have deleted some old messages. If you found this page by a search engine, don't miss the whole site!
You will find the old messages from the last years in our News Archive
2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004.